Saturday, March 28, 2009

Chapter12

Goal setting can feel like making a New Year’s resolution; you make the resolution and one month later where are you? The scale has become the enemy. The get fit program that was meticulously written out, complete with charts, is under a stack of books, the tenny’s are lost next to the cushy armchair you fell into and where you last took them off—exhausted after that whole tape of jumping up and down, towels are hanging on the treadmill and the yoga mat is still where you left it in the middle of the room – next to that singing bowl you had to have --. So it is that I came upon this Chapter, once again at odds with the author, discovering the Grand Finale was a plethora of questions and “To Do’ lists on me making “To Do lists.” I was worn out after reading it. Though, I like the idea of drawing up a personal creative mission.

When I went to Canyon Ranch a few years back. They had a way of motivating one. They had a couple of ideas I came away with that seems to work for me. Don’t set more than one goal a month and every day do two things toward that end, one before noon and one after. Okay this is doable.

Long lists work when I have a boatload of chores, running around work to do. Crossing things off on that list is a reward. I’m 48. I’ve done the charts, the long-term goal setting and the life coaching seven elements. Done with those. They only frustrate me. All the ideas in this Chapter are really great if you haven’t done them before. A nice review if you have.

I’ve actually thrown the word goal out of my vocabulary. I’m always working towards some objective (or resting), but sometimes I get side tracked. So, for me changing the word 'goal' to -get a little bit more organized- sends my brain the message: relax. Just a slight turn of the phrase refocuses my original intent, takes the pressure off, and inspires me to just go pick up the art room. Once there, moving about my things, stirs the creative pot. Just a wee bit more organized, and suddenly that put off phone call is being made. A wee bit more organized and the flier with your name and number sideways across the bottom to be torn off for Reiki treatments is up on the bulletin board at Starbucks. Who cares if you haven’t figured out exactly how your going to pull it off, but the second that flier is up I guarantee you’ll be changing the energetic vibration, and you’ll be up and running, without the list that you have expended all your energy on before you did anything concrete.

Trust me. You’ve had whatever ideas you want to do spinning around in your head for ages. You already have enough knowledge within yourself on how to move forward. Organize a little. Relax, smile & Do.

“For those who must follow the via creative, the creative path, I say: Go. Go right now, and as soon, and as often as you can. Keep going.” [pg 213 Clarissa Pinkola Estes]


love-n-light

5 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I know lot time sitting big goals can frustrated one self.
I find slow and study gets things done.

Thanks for stopping in and sorry it took me so long to get back.

Coffee is on.

Genie Sea said...

You can't be any more right. Making lists sometimes brings into sharp focus all the things that are not getting done.

One thing at a time. One day at a time. One step at a time.

Indeed. :)

LissaL said...

I soooooo love this. I'm all for getting organized. However the other stuff is just too much pressure. Go with the flow!
love-n-light
to you
Cynthia
leapn2life!

Lisa PN said...

Sometimes when i am working with my creativity clients, i use the word intentions or dream instead of goals. It's so loaded with conotations of success or failure.

Organized?

Perfect! How inspiring!

Jane-Singing Deer said...

Thank you, thank you dear Cynthia. Words I need to read and 'hear'. I love that: "Organize a little. Relax, smile & Do."

Yeah, that's it :-).

Gracias mi amiga,
Jane