Friday, July 3, 2009



This was an unexpected surprise. As everything I do right now is an experiment with texture and color and I'm mostly going by intuition, it can be freeing, as I don't have expectations and a big question mark as well. Before I can actually push myself to a canvas my thought go along this line. What are you doing, you can't paint, you're not an artist. Yet this last time I noticed I was more conscious of my thoughts; too much contrast, that part looks good, lead the eye toward the rest-- which color will do that, darks push things back or stick out, Titan Buff is a miracle paint it covers any mistake, cover your babies if they don't work with the design. I was learning!


That right lower corner is not that dark, but I'm also learning how to take pictures of my painting in just the right light and how to use photohop on my Mac. Here's highlighted section with pretty much the exact colors and sharpness.


 I use my color a wheel a lot, but this time not so much. I started with only an idea of layer the yellow and red iron oxides, but I decided to use patience. Biggie there as this is only my 7th attempt at an actual mixed media painting. I put some images and paste the night before, then added color a little at a time. I can see how  painters will work on more than one painting at a time. I really, really like the effects of light molding paste & stencils. 

I tried using an image transfer, that's the bluish center thing that got covered up; with great results. I used a magazine image, torn newspaper images, cheesecloth and a little bit of tissue paper. I'm trying to get a little less going on. 
I mixed up using my polymer med and fluid matte med. and have to look back at some books and instructional dvd's to see how they're used. I liked adhering the newspaper and then tearing it back and the paper just leaving half of itself down. I'm going to have to start taking pictures during the process like Tamara and other's. I'm also finally going to start a notebook. At first it didn't seem worth it as I didn't know what the hell was going to happen.

With that in mind this an 8X7 1/2" canvas, Cerulean deep blue Golden Fluid Acrylic & Golden Light molding paste. Used a broken CD case and a store thingy that you punch out your discount card for as templates for paste. It dries opaque and my 
idea is to see if I can scrunch tissue paper on it.  My easel is my flat table with a extra large canvas still in plastic wrap!:)

10 comments:

Bill said...

Again... Wow. I'm sitting here telling my wife how much I like your work. Your art...takes me places. I hope you are benefiting financially from this beautiful work. I know that sometimes we can just do our thing for the sake of doing it... But, honestly, this is really good Cynthia...

Cynthia said...

Bill your kindness is always so appreciated. I'm hangin in by gingertips, so thank you for checking in on my blog. but I'd also be embarrassed to take this into a gallery. I know what real technique along with creativity looks like. I'll get there, just not there yet...but you sure give me the oomp to keep going. :)

thank you kind sir and to your wife also --

Lisa said...

Gorgeous!

Now, you fell and got a concussion? And now you're getting up and cooking? Good lord woman, what is going on?! Please take care and be gentle with your precious self xoxo

Calli said...

Very cool! I love your colour choices. I also love that you are letting your 'intuition' guide you vs. a set plan for your paintings.

I also love the one below that you described as having the colours of Albuquerque, I so agree and I love that place!

Have a lovely & fun 4th!
~Calli

Tori said...

I still love your amazing art work! <3

Hibiscus Moon said...

Well, I'm glad to see that the concusion didn't affect your wonderful talent in the least!

Tamarak said...

Love the depth in the first piece you have here...so much going on...and the colours are so rich!

I so know what you mean about having to silence that 'who are you kidding' voice...the one that tells me I'm not an artist...so nice to be able to shut it up and just go with the flow and get lost in the creating...such nice things happen in that space!

Would love to see your process...progress shots and all...I have to remind myself to do them...I get so caught up in what I am doing that I forget...I love seeing people's steps though...which is why I try to show mine sometimes!

How did you fall and end up with a concussion??? Do take care!!!

Mariana Soffer said...

I loved you new blog, well it looks awfully promising. I like what you sat "My attempt at finding pithiness & survival techniques during the second great depression."
Pretty wise, I tried to left a comment in any of the two posts but it is not letting me do it, I wanted you to know.
I also find your art ideas very very interesting along with your artworks.But I want to pay more through attention to comment about them.
Hope you can fix this so you can talk about pithiness and it's related thoughts.
Take care

Jane said...

These images are beautiful -- the colors and hint of vintage flower and vine patterns just draw me in! Thanks for describing your creation process. I hope you're recovering well from your concussion. Blessings to you!

~Jane

Cynthia said...

I like this piece. The colors remind me
of a fairy tale forest.