Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Transfers; Gel Mediums and Beeswax

This is in answer to an email that I thought might benefit other artist and hopefully myself, because I'm not sure I'm doing this right and would like to know if others have other useful techniques.

Anyhow, Beeswax and gel mediums... first they can't be used on card stock or mat board. The gel medium I do use as an adhesive, less bubbling, easier to burnish without stretching out the image, thinner coat, dries without seeing brush strokes, especially if I dab with paper towel or rag.

I am just learning to use both on wood and canvas. Experimenting; many failures so far. I've read about different techniques in two or three collage books (mentioned later under Beeswax info), some of the directions aren't that clear -- or I'm just screwing up -- learn more from mistakes than success, hey? ;0 However here is, sort of a good 1rst description for the gel medium and the site shows workshops http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medsadds/gels/gels.php

There is a couple of different things you can do with the gel, one is make 'skins.' This works well with ink jet, but I'm using it fine with a laser printer. You print out your image and start layering it with gel med. (I use matte) there is a plethora of different ones, even grainy ones with pumice in them -- try them for different techniques.) Layer, dry; layer, dry; layer, dry -- sometimes one layer is good --then under running water or in a tupperware tub of water (I use -- deep enough to cover the image) you rub off the back -gently. You are left with a 'skin' of the image that can be applied any which way, giving dimension and texture.

Now this method is the one I'm still practicing with. Applying gel medium to a surface, like a canvas board, put the image onto the gel area, burnish with a bone folder, slowly lifting up corners to see that the image is adhering. It's supposed to be simple. So far I've had mixed results depending on what I'm adhering to, as well issues transferring on top of already existing image.

There are all sorts of things to look out for. Printing onto different kinds of paper, and many images, depending on color, won't transfer onto another image already placed (whether to transfer on to sealed piece vs. unsealed) -- at least it won't be visible, too dark -- too light, You have to think in layering lighter to darker. But lets say I transfer a pattern as my background, seal, then adhere other images, or transfer a darker one. There are tricks of the trade I'm not sure of yet. Resource: http://www.talbot1.com/collage_supplies/

Beeswax is simple in some ways, hot and weird in another. Like I said, I'm going by trial and error with no instruction so this could be all poor advice. They sell beeswax in the craft store in chunks, sometimes in pellets. Pellets are better because then you don't have to worry about breaking off the chunks of hard wax. There is natural and white. The natural will leave kind of an antique look, the white is clear..but you will always get an opaque feel. I melt the wax in a chocolate melter or small crock pot. Brush a layer to the wood block or canvas and turn image upside down on it, again using a solvent (acetone, xylene, Citrasolve, oil of wintergreen or paint thinner -- make sure your room is well ventillated -- your supposed to wear rubber gloves, I forget 1/2 the time) to remove backing. Remember your image will be reversed. I can't figure out how to get my copier to reverse an image yet. I'm horribly unskilled as of yet when dealing with iphoto or the printer, supposedly Adobe Photo Shop can scan the image and flip it. The good thing about wax is if you don't like the look of it, you can melt off the image using a quilting iron and start again. Resource: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_scrapbooking_memory/article/0,,hgtv_3318_3748819,00.html

You can also water transfer. For water transfer, print an image onto glossy ink-jet photo paper, spray the transfer surface with water, apply the photo paper image side down, and burnish. The amount of water depends on the texture and rag content of the transfer surface: Slick paper requires less water whereas textured requires more.

Okay, that is the sum of my knowledge so far. Reading back I can see why I get confused when reading others descriptions on transferring techniques. Good Luck.

4 comments:

Miss Kim said...

Thanks for linking to me! I'm delighted that we're new SC friends! It will be exciting to see where we are led. HUgs, Kimmi

Cynthia said...

Hugs to you too Kimmi
xoxo
Cyn

Nadya said...

Thanks for the info on transfering images. A mixed media artist is giving a class on beeswax w/ images in Jan at our local artists' co-op gallery & classrooms - I've been thinking of taking it! Interesting stuff :) & thanks for visiting tmy blogs, like you, I keep 'tweeking' them!

Cynthia said...

O Dia! You must take that class and come back and tell us everything!!!

xoxo
cyn