Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sunrise and New Beginning's

The desert looks beautiful this morning at 8 am. I've been watching the sunrise sparkle on the cresote, Palo Verde trees and saguaro's for the last hour. It's been colder here than normal which is nice for us, but I feel for all those being hit with the big winter storms. I was raised in Wisconsin so I do remember those.

I must say I'm glad Christmas is over and am taking down the tree early. It seems many I know were hit with extra burdens, besides the economy, between Thanksgiving and xmas. I just want a fresh start full of hope. I have plans to put a labyrinth on the property on a natural flat spot by Spring Equinox. I can't tell you what a thrill it was to buy a silly little compass for 7.95! I'll be getting my seed catalogs soon and can't wait to till the dirt; (we get a long growing season in Arizona, and I'm freaking because I can't find my desert gardening book that is my bible when it comes to gardening out here!); off to the horse corals with a wheelbarrow and a kerchief around my face like an cowboy bank robber so I don't sneeze my brains out to gather manure after the first. This is the year I swear to start another compost and keep up with it. We need new chickens, we are down to two (this summer was harsh on the older ones.) I'm planning on going to the SoulCollage facilitator training in March. And after a month of poor eating habits, sitting in the car a lot and not drinking enough water, I want to clean out the cupboards and hit the health food market. My body is craving those fruits and vegies.

Also, since the boys are mostly gone - mostly, this makes me laugh because I was so heartbroken when they started college and went to UofA in Tucson (waa, a whole hour and a half away) and other mothers who had been through this said they come back and they were right. God, they're back a lot! Which I love, and have forged new adult relationships with them, however, I'm expanding my limits and can't interrupt my life every time they come home, a new concept for me, not cooking for them every time they show up for the weekend, well sort of, and this mother is taking over Sam's (the oldest) bedroom, (it is my house after all, right?) which faces the courtyard and has the most light and turning it into a Art Studio! yes! I'm so excited! Right now I have a corner of art epherma and tools carved out in the Study that is rapidly reproducing, like bunnies; seriously, every time I come back into the room it has spread further, across the floor, the chairs, covering things that are not meant to be covered and now after xmas (decorated presents in there, making things xtra special) it is even more difficult to forge a path to my desk to pay bills.

But, before that happens, younger son's -Jason- room needs to be turned into a guest bedroom and because I let them choose the paint for their rooms, two of his walls are, no not black, but red.
So I'm looking for those pre-paste Murals for one wall because the ceiling is 10 feet and the room just looks like a square box -- no feng shui going on in there. I'm thinking of going Victorian in there, using lavender, sage green and yellow for my color palette. AND before I do that both of their closets are filled with -- God I don't know! storage stuff. So the biggest hurdle will be those closets--before the new semester starts!

Well, the light is hitting the Jacaranda tree, which blooms all purple in the spring; the closest thing I could get to my favorite lilacs that don't grow in the desert, brightening all the leaves with sunlight which makes me want to go take a walk.

Have a great day!
xoxo

2 comments:

Miss Kim said...

Sounds lovely there :) I've also taken the tree down... it feels good to clear the space, the whole place seems lighter. Good luck with creating your studio- it sounds divine!

Nadya said...

How exciting to be 'reclaiming space' - & a labyrinth! I think of putting a Medicine Wheel or TINY labyrinth in my back yard somewhere. . . .

Blessings in the New Year!