Sunday, January 11, 2009

12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women

Secret #1: Acknowledging Your Creative Self

Hi there! Color, Line, Texture, Symbol & Metaphor -- need I say more? Well, I'll give it a go.

Five years old, fine brown hair, brown eyes with a hint of amber and life was still a game and one gift changes your life. That was it, I was hooked, forever, for life, since the first day I opened that Crayola box, the feel, the smell, the color and the transformation of a few outlined images into magical meanings of my light; my choices, heady business, that! O god, let's not even go towards the frustration of those silly little ovals of water paints with brushes that hairs mussed up everything and I just wanted something better, thank god for finger paints and play-doh -- And hey there parents: what those little dried balls did to the carpet it did to every kid in America's carpet!

There have been hiccups along way, the world kept spinning and there I was all grown up at college deciding between a Fine Arts Degree or one in Liberal Arts for Art History, taking Design, semesters of ceramics, photography and totally enthralled in the image and symbol of Medieval Cathedral's, Ancient ruins, and at the same time Jungian philosophy, Joseph Campbell's musing...

Then there was that undeniable love of your life, the soulmate, the best friend and well, what can I say, I married him. I helped my husband start a construction business and raised two sons and became a caretaker for my Gram suffering from Altzheimers. My mother's axiom: Life's what is happening when you are making other plans. :) true enuf there mom. A few more classes in sculpting, photography and even anthropology squeezed in, a writing career started, and stopped, and started, and.... you get the picture. Dreams of going to the California Institute in Integral Studies, a passion for the beginnings of religion, creations myths. Oh, let us not forget the road less taken -- therapy -- too much, finally learned to listen to my own voice, then the big one: (cue:Twilight Zone music) Empty Nest!

There was one of those really bad years, the ones that suck you dry and your constantly pissed at yourself for not being Mother Teresa, but it comes out in the form of depression or irrational bouts of anger. Well, spirit found me through my dreams and urgently requested that I watercolor. I baulked. You see, I do not draw, not at all, not even a little bit. I'm also one who does not remember dreams so having a Mandala dream along with the watercolor ones was an omen. I'd be an idiot not to pay attention. By about now I was seriously agoraphobic/bipolar screwed with out knowing it and near break down, but my son was going to the Art Supply store on xmas break for his supplies and I went with him and asked the girl there what I needed to watercolor. She told me water color was hard, but I didn't care about results: I was told from on high to water color! So she kindly lead me around explaining paper weight and quality and I acquired some decent stuff and a book. I was given "The Tao of Watercolor" and probably 150.00 in supplies. This small act opened the floodgates. Art Therapy before I knew it existed.

Because I had no expectations of anything artistically good coming out of my daily creations I was free in a way I had never been before. (I must admit, I was pretty upset when I couldn't color within the lines in those coloring books all those years ago.) Everyday I created something new, I played with washes, I re-learned terms, the color wheel, perspective. I still wasn't a painter per-se, but it was great! Every brush stroke, every color, blend, line, was a surprise, a gift until one day I actually purposely created a piece with a path leading out to the distant hills, a slight breeze ruffling the grass, a broken split-rail fence trailing next to the path, a few clouds. And just as abruptly as it started, 3 months later it stopped. Oh, but that memory is still so strong.

That was three years ago. I wobbled with what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Felt like a jack of all trades and master of none. No degree to boot. Took another ceramic class -- anything that had access to a kiln -- but I wasn't a potter, I liked to sculpt and this particular teacher focused on the wheel. I do like the wheel, it's just conjures up so many romantic movies - "Ghost" anyone? But one day when I when I was near finished with my sculpted, fairly large, turtle shell it occurred to me to cut a hole in the middle of the shell and put that gauzy mask like thing from my latest facial at the Spa visit through the middle, 1/2 the face sticking out. Symbolic of my emergence mental illness, slowly beginning to face the world again. But growing older sometimes makes you hesitant of chances and if it wasn't for the encouragement of a young woman and guy to go for it I'm not sure I would have taken my carving tool to that perfect turtle shell and deliberately cut a big a*# hole in the middle of it! Finished firing, glazing and re-firing it, brought it home and went to town with paint, polymer clay (liked playing with that!) feather, leather and beads made from polymer clay and some stuff from the desert. Wow! Coolness!

So, "Claiming my artistic self as a woman became the path to healing and recreating my life." For me; for real, as I imagine it is for most of us as I've read those who have gone before me.

I've got much to learn, but there is always is with creating and I found SoulCollage which is helping contain the urgent feeling I have to go every which direction! Focus, one step at a time. Awesome, fantastic! It took me a while to get here, but it is right where I'm supposed to be. I do not doubt at all, I'm taking this all the way, more of this journey, lordie, what a trip!

I'm so glad there is so many of us doing this -- like my boys would say -- Epic!

Loving your heart,
Cyn

11 comments:

Lisa said...

You're good! Epic :)

Thien-Kim aka Kim said...

I love the smell of a brand new box of Crayolas. To this day, no other brand will do. It's amazing how therapeutic art can be!

Anonymous said...

Your description of your life and marrying your best friend was something I can totally relate to. I married my best friend too. We have been married almost 7 years and have known each other for 15. Life is full of so much searching isn't it? I think your mom's advice is good. Here I am fretting about what city to live in while life unfolds for me each day. An old friend I hadn't seen in a long time asked, "How's life?" I think the answer was something like, "messy and chaotic and yet filled with love and many surprises..."

Cheers to you! I look forward to reading more about your experiences as we read this book!

Nadya said...

What a powerfull tell - good on you! Following those dreams - kicking & grumbling . . .
I loved 'art therapy before I knew it existed!' a dear friend studied art therapy, & I had a lovely tee-shirt that had 'before' on the back & 'after' on the front - don't know why I passed it on. Fabric paint on a white tee . . .

Love seeing your SoulCollage notes - & look forward to sharing '12 secret' journey with you!

Cynthia said...

Oh, heavens Dia, my "Letting Go" had claw marks all over it!! I love the Tee idea!!

love
xx

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about your watercolor journey and your pleasure in your creating! And the turtle! I was like you, too - enjoyed the wheel but it was the sculpting that drew me in. You're so right - creating is always about learning, there's always learning because there's always creating!

Cynthia said...

thx Belle, First thing on list to learn: figure out how to use a digital camera and scan/transfer? to my computer, then said turtle and other Show-n-Tell's will be displayed!

LissaBee Creations said...

What a beautiful post! You made me realize that I have been creative for far longer than I give myself credit for. I have loved the smell of crayons for as long as I can remember, played with the ovals of watercolor, play-doh, polymer clay, flowers, photography, digital scrapbooking, etc.

You mentioned Delacroix when you visited my blog; to you, I say Jung! Who do you think inspired the name of my blog? :-) It was amazing how the word "synchronicity" kept coming up for me this past fall. Perhaps it was because I had just lost my mother and felt I was given permission to heal the pain from my childhood. I believe with my whole heart that art can be therapy.

I am looking forward to this journey, and interacting with all of the wonderful, CREATIVE women in our book group!!

Melissa

Kathryn Costa said...

It is so wonderful to read your post and get to know you. We have several things in common but two I will mention now are SoulCollage and taking this epic journey.

If you have a moment to swing by my blog be sure to scroll down for my post for TNC. I also have some recent SoulCollage cards posted throughout that you may enjoy.

One interesting thing is that your background wallpaper on your blog has a variation of an image that I keep bumping into and plan on playing with for the GPP Street Team challenge on Michelle Ward's blog. What I like about your variation is that it has a heart in the center. How cool!

risa said...

I look forward to sharing this journey with you...hope you will check out my posts as well...I'm amazed at how many similiarities I see in all our stories.

Jamie Ridler said...

Epic, yes. What a story you are, unfolding with the telling.