
So, there it is - Life, summed up in three words. My metaphor for the last two weeks. I almost put in the vault, 'I'm behind and why bother, you are out of the loop', BUT one must cowboy up occasionally -- and the 'other' voice came to the rescue, "It's only a couple of weeks, shit happens, and I'm certainly not going to give up.
PAPER: Ironically I honored my creative me for Chapter Two before knowing that was the assignment. That weekend a girlfriend came from out of town and we went to "The Paper Studio" in Tempe! O my goodness! What a feast for the eye! Let me back up a bit.
First, another artist here--though I forget which one, mentioned 'cloth, paper, scissors' magazine on her blog. At first a I balked at a magazine with sewing or stitching involved, but in my new found willingness to treasure hunt in places that I usually think are fruitless I found a bounty. Thank you to that artist! to the magazine and to me not being an idiot.
In any case, the usual resources are in the back of the magazine and usually Nothing is in the Phoenix area. I mean Portland is a plethora of art resources! But, lo and behold, I see "Paper Studio," and it's in my area. Yay!!
So, there I was with creative friend(friends like that always stimulate new idea's,) surrounded by paper of every kind just wanting to take so much home. Well, I settled on three. One from Italy, the feather one that has a 'all rights reserved' on it, the rustic looking rice paper -- o man, the touch of that one is pure bliss, and the handmade shades of blue on the other -- so wispy to touch. I swear to god, I think I told my friend this place and papers are almost as good as an orgasm!
ROCK: Well, after the friend left and the football game was over and the finances taken care of and the house cleaned and my beginning yoga class, I was ready to settle in and check out my fellow artist online. However, my dearest Gram had other plans for us, and bleary eyed I got in a car Sat to go home after a few nights stay on a couch with her in the hospital. She's hangin in there, but major depression set in for me yesterday and today -- normal-- I'm telling myself, you're tired, that's all.
SCISSORS: The beautiful paper I had bought I unrolled and gazed at for the first few days, loving the beauty, the texture, and even the smell, and I also wondered how in the hell I'd get the guts to actually CUT them! I had to show you guys what they looked like.
Cutting off a couple of squares was exactly what I needed to move into the now. And that is what those papers were waiting for. The second the cuts were done and scanned I was back in business and the pity party was over.
WEEK 2: Sychronicity. The hospital floor I was on had amazing paintings, and also because in all the hours of sitting by myself I started seeing art in every thing in that hospital room. Combinations, color, hues, shadow, light, line, composition. I drew on the wall size white board, borrowing heavily from shari beaubiens' work (but essentially my own spin; adding me and Gram and two peas in a pod) in the "cloth, paper, scissor" May/June 2008 issue I had -- coincidently bought at The Paper Store. (Gotta love the Divine watching out for you when you don't know it.) I also, coincidentally brought my cybershot camera -- god knows why I wondered when I was packing my ditty bag. One early morning, when all had calmed momentarily, I walked the silent halls taking pictures of that guys art at different angles, different pieces of the art, not necessarily the whole picture so I could have ideas to work from on shapes and colors.
I realized I did my art because I couldn't help myself. That's what I do. That is who I am. Week 2 in a nutshell.
To further boost my moral my precious mother lode from Jerry's Artarama had arrived!
The Micaceous Iron Oxide, pumice gel, coarse garnet gel (garnet and turquoise --ooooo, such rich colors!), glass bead gel, and tar gel was here! Play time! Which I plan on doing as soon as a catch up a bit here -- because I've noticed I'm getting a bit cranky not doing it -- can't empty the emotional bank, need deposits.
So, there it is.
Love & Peace to
all out there in
our precious and nurtured
Art Land. :)
Monday, January 26, 2009
12 Secrets;Wk2: Paper, Rock, Scissors
Posted by
Cynthia
at
1:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comments:
I love that you managed to cowboy up here! This post's organization is brilliantly clever.
Love the paper. I have a hard time in those stores because, I do have a budget after all ...
Good luck with your grandmother. Sounds tough. How strong your artist spirit must be to still be itching to create, even at the hospital.
Post a Comment