This morning!
The first wee eggs laid! (brown one is large store bought)They taste so much better than store bought, and I can eat egg white omelets without guilt for tossing the yolk.
Remember when....12 weeks
14 to 16 weeks -- the white leghorns are monstrously huge!
Taking pictures with a Cybershot has been a thorn in my side! I'm having age issue's that are quickly turning into little rants. I finally found a battery for my pre-digital age, "ancient" 10 year old camera. Though I can't find Photoshop for my 5 year old Mac. Lordie, things do move fast in technology. It is a shame though. This is about as clean as I could get these shots.
But, these gals are fun to watch mill around in the morning before it gets too hot -- 101 this afternoon -- it's dry so not bad --eventually we will turn on the misters in the coop when we start hitting 108 and up.
Have a great day!
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Chickens
Posted by
Cynthia
at
8:16 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
The chickens are so neat - what a life you all have down there. It's alot of people's (me) life dream, and you are living it!
YAY, eggs! I would love to taste the difference between fresh & store eggs. I'm sure its tremendous.
The chickens look wonderful! What kind are the black/white speckley ones? Those are handsome!
How adorable and miraculous! It's these "small" things that bring the wonder of life sharply into focus.
What version Mac OS (operating system) do you have? I think I might be able to get my hands on an old mac PS for you.
Dawn -- they are called Black Sex Links. Look here for the beginning:
http://soulcollagefusion.blogspot.com/2009/02/new-baby-chicks.html
Genie -- I have a Mac OS X 10.4.11 thank you for checking -- that would be really nice if you find something.
l
Oh my goodness. Too cool!
Thank you for sharing this. Now i want chickens!
:)
may i first say how happy i am to see you again?? i'm glad you are finally feeling up and around! and you make we want chickens again and i am tempted to show farmer your set up and see if i can get him into the idea...i told him you misted at 108 or very hot, we never hit that range... he remembers them dying at 90 so maybe they must be acclimated?? do you happen to know about chickens and heat?
anyway, i love these pictures and you have such a clean nice set up...makes me wonder who does all the work to keep it poop-free or did you clean it and then quick run and take a pic? ;)
anyway, so much more healthy to eat fresh organic eggs....do you let them run free ever and bring them in at night? or is there critters where you are, my guess is there is...
blessings, stay well!
X
Kavindra -- I forgot to say hi -- it's a life that was hard worked for and is in danger of being lost -- I think it is time I post about it. more later :) thanks for always noticing my blog. :)
Robin -- they are more soothing to watch than meditating sometimes.
Linda -- It's dryer here, so it's more around 103 -105 when the misters go on. We always loose one chicken the first summer. I'll show a bigger picture of the hen house and area soon. It's about 20X20. got tired of the coyotes, dogs, and owls absconding with them.
Believe it or not we never have to rake -- it gets scratched up pretty good. speaking of organic, we also are Omega-# happy -- I throw flax seed out there too.
So good to see you back. I miss you. Love the chickens and love the eggs. I buy mine from a young man at the farmer's market ... his ladies are free range, no drugs, and the eggs taste so good. Wow! I want to go see Star Trek.
Hugs--
Cynthia, I love your photos of your chickens. Aren't they so funny as gawky 'adolescents'? Congratulations on your first eggs! Chickens -- and their eggs -- are such magic!
You've redesigned your blog! I wonder what else of you is redesigned ;-)?
Wild blessings,
Jane
Post a Comment