I appreciate the well wishes while I was ill.
Kavindra thanks for the nudge. big hugs and Robyn too -- your comment reactivated my interest in blogging.
Well, it's like this. I relapsed on the flu big time. I took the anti-viral medicine for a few days, felt better, didn't finish it - I know dumb, believe me I regretted it, renewed taking it, but was fairly ill until Sunday, I think I coughed up a lung - as that gross saying goes. I haven't been that sick in over 12 years (fevers are depressing things.) I couldn't concentrate to watch TV or read -- sleep was intense or sparse..., got to become intimate friends with my ceiling fan.
So Sun and Mon were start to move days. Checked computer but was having that feeling like when you haven't done your art for awhile; you should, you don't know what to do first -- Tues I had cabin fever and took myself to the movies. The only movie playing when I showed up was "The Fast and the Furious" which turned out to be a helluva a lot of fun. heck I'll admit it -- I like both actors -- Paul Walker should be in more movies and I love Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick.
Yesterday cleaned up-- sort of, and started the "To-Do" list. Put together my recipe for Mole (mo-lay) -- (I'll include it for a treat with the warning it is labor of love when it is made and plan on spending the day cooking it and a couple of days before gathering ingredients.) because the boys are coming Saturday! OMG I can hardly contain myself!
I did start reading a color theory book and looked over my paints and another book with a geriatric heroine that collects cat hair in jam jars for her friend to weave into a sleeveless cardigan and lets a hen lay eggs on her bed, "The Hearing Trumpet." Thank You Linda for you for leading me to Remedios Varo, her Art work is absolutely the most stunning, technically and intuitively I have ever experienced. This lead me to Leonora Carrington, her artist friend, who also wrote, "The Hearing Trumpet" being one. I am totally enamored!
Okay, my computer has to go in today at noon -- God knows how long they will keep it, hopefully not long.
I have pictures of the chickens -- I had no idea the white leg-horns turn into Godzilla chickens!
Robyn-- thank you so much for dropping by.
Here is the recipe I'll be making for the boys this Sat.
Mole Poblano de Guajolote
*Set a tortilla out in the morning
Preheat oven to 375
6# turkey cut into serving pieces
1onion, chopped lg
2 garlic cloves chopped
Celtic Sea Salt – (this has better flavor, but less is more)
6 Tbl lard (you can sub corn oil – but will loose some flavor)
Mole Sauce
6 dried ancho chiles
4 dried pasilla chilies
4 dried negro or mulatto chilies
1-2 drained canned chipolte chile (I like the heat so I do not seed it)
2 onions cut into wedges put on skewers
2 lg garlic cloves
1# tomato’s halved (heirlooms, roma, ones from your garden ☺
{place last three items on a med hot grill – sprayed with Pam, roast till slightly blackened but not burnt, remove from grill and put in large bowl has the different sizes blacken and soften slightly, the skins will split on the tomato’s – we are not looking for mush here, but a nice charred taste and a softened tomato -easier to process - this can mean closing the lid and waiting several minutes to turn – not more than 30 min. depending on hot your grill. Try not to mess with the tomato’s too much, need the liquid inside; sear the bottom cut side down first, mainly charring the skin}
*one stale tortilla, torn into pieces
1/3 cup raisins
½ cup ground almonds
¼ cup ground pinon nuts (pine nuts in some cities)
¼ cup ground pepitas/pumpkin seeds (no shell)
3 Tbl sesame seeds ground
1 tsp coriander seeds ground
1 tsp fennel ground
--this is the not an easy part, get creative, you’ll lose some product when crushing, don’t worry about it. (I use a mocajete and stuff sticks to the sides and doesn’t come out – if you use already ground, cut it down to ½ tsp.’s)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper (I use Tellicherry – slightly sweet back flavor)
{place last five ingredients in a small, dry, med/low heat, cast iron or sauté pan; briefly roast, (a 30 sec to a minute or two, don’t burn, let the aroma guide you – you should just start smelling them roast… shaking often – watch your eyes and don’t inhale right over the pan – }
4 Tbl lard (you can sub. corn oil for the lard – but tastes better with lard –one guilty pleasure ☺
1 ½ oz of the best unsweetened chocolate you can afford, broken into squares
1 Tbl sugar
Chicken broth
Celtic Sea and salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Put turkey pieces into a large enough pan to hold them in one layer. Add the onion and garlic and enough cold water to cover. Season with salt. Place in pre-heated oven for 1 hour or until turkey is tender. Allow for it being cooked twice more.
2. Meanwhile, put the ancho, pasilla, and negro chiles in a dry fry pan over gentle heat and roast them for a few minutes. Remove stems and shake out the seeds. {roasting brings out the flavor, it is recommended to wear gloves – I don’t, but I don’t touch my eyes for the rest of the day either} Tear the pods into pieces and place in a 1 qt saucepan. Cover with broth, (just,) bring to boil and simmer, covered, 30 to 45 minutes, turning every once in awhile.
3. Lift out the turkey pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Reserve the stock. Heat the lard in a large heavy frying pan and sauté the turkey pieces until lightly browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Reserve any oil left in the frying pan.
4. Transfer the chilies, along with the broth in which they have soaked, into a food processor. Add the chipotle pepper with the roasted onions, garlic, tomatos, tortilla, raisins, ground nuts and spices. Process to a puree. I do this in batches, it will be fairly thick.
5. Add the lard to the fat remaining in the frying pan used for sautéing the turkey. Heat the mixture, the add the chili and spice paste. Cook stirring for 5 – 8 minutes.
6. Transfer the mixture to the pan or casserole in which the turkey was originally cooked. Stir in 2 cups of the turkey stock (make up the difference with chicken broth if necessary.) Add the chocolate and season with salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until the chocolate has melted. Stir in the sugar. Add the turkey and more stock if needed. Cover the pan and simmer very gently for 30 minutes. Serve, garnish with fresh cilantro and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
7. Serve with Green Rice, Refried beans, Calabacitas, and fresh cut-up pineapple and melons.
Big hugs
Cynthia
Thursday, May 7, 2009
I'm back Yea!
Posted by
Cynthia
at
7:27 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Whew! Thanks for the update girl. We're all allowed to take blog breaks, but not after a post about possibly having swine flu, ok?!
Don't let them keep your computer too long, and have fun with the boys (lucky boys getting this mole.)
I am glad you're feeling better sweetie :)
Wow.
Glad youre better!
I'll just live thru you vicariously in regards to the mole. Sounds like a lot of work! :D
Edith Piaf too? You are too fabulous! Take care of you!
Grace and peace.
R
Post a Comment