Saturday, June 20, 2009

Salsa Bowl -This-n-That




Father's Day weekend, Summer Solstice, sons home for the weekend, and some great awards to boot! -- What's a girl to do to? First it was clean house -- then it was off to the market -- Plenty of fresh fruits and Vegies --and a Whole Body cleanse to begin on the Solstice. 

The market had some exotic fruits I couldn't resist so a fruit salsa started to create in my mind.

From left I'll start with the Kiwi, Jicama, Red onion, orange, Santa Clause melon, Cilantro, Habenero (HOT! - but great flavor) and then my first little discovery, an Ataulfo (isn't that name great?) Mango -- I'm not partial to mangoes, so I keep trying different varieties, but I think it will be a nice flavor and different texture amoungst all the crunch. The other discovery, a Forelle Pair -- I collected 3 has they are so small. Then serrano pepper and a very delious smelling heirloom tomato -- I so enjoy their flavor. Not showing is the limes, oops.  Don't know how much of any particular ingredient yet, but will let you now how it turns out. 

Tori was very generous and graciously awarded me with some pretty spectacular awards to aspire to --  I think, though, this speaks more to Tori's beautiful soul than anything else.  Tori graduates today. (I hope the sun is shining!) She is a bright and gifted young lady. You might want to stop over and take a peak at her blog. 

This award was developed by Tessa in honor of Dr Maithri Goonetilleke's birthday. Tessa was inspired by the way Dr Goonetileke reaches out to others and, with his humanity as her guide, she created this award "to acknowledge the depth and breadth of the warm open-heartedness from bloggers all over the world who reach out and touch their readers with their words." Tessa goes on to quote Dr Goonetilleke: "It has been my experience that whenever one human being reaches out to another in compassion, a bridge is built. A bridge which leads out of despair, into the light of hope and the possibility that tomorrow will hold a few less tears than yesterday."

Bohomom said of this award: Sarah from Cottage Garden Studio has beautifully described what this award means... 
"The Mental Duck to Mental Swan Award is given to two amazing groups of bloggers;
1. To Bloggers who encourage and nurture others bloggers to explore and grow in their creative, spiritual or mental lives.
2. To Bloggers who are blooming and growing creatively, spiritually or mentally in their lives & sharing it on their blogs.


This Noblesse Oblige Award is an award given to those who promote creativity, and positive thinking. The recipient's blog is refreshing and creative and has a clear purpose.
The recipient of this award is recognized for the following:

1. The Blogger manifests exemplary attitude, respecting the nuances that pervade amongst different cultures and beliefs.

2. Their Blog contents inspire; strives to encourage, and offers solutions

3. There is a clear purpose at the Blog; one that fosters a better understanding on Social, Political, Economic, the Arts, Cultures, Sciences and Beliefs

4.The Blog is refreshing and creative

5. The Blogger promotes friendship and positive thinking

The Blogger who receives this award will need to perform the following:
- Create a post with a mention and link to the person who presented the Noblesse Oblige Award.
- The Award Conditions must be displayed at the Post.
- Write a short article about what the Blog has thus far achieved – preferably
citing one or more older posts as support.
- The Blogger must present the Noblesse Oblige Award in concurrence with the Award conditions.
- Blogger must display the Award at any location at their Blog.

The definitions of these awards are inspiring, the sentiments, the words are everything one hopes to become in their life time. 

I started a blog with no clear purpose except maybe to find a place for my SoulCollage Cards. I was skeptical of blogging, friendships in cyberspace, but to quote the inspirational Hilary Clinton, "I found my voice." The authentic me and am still discovering what I'm passionate about.   Grace broke through that cynicism -- and humour, music, dancing, support! I think when you are supported, and others eyes see your precious gifts and only glance askance at your flaws -- you blossom -- at least I have. 

Thank you Tori and I pass these awards to 



Tamarak at Tamaraks Table

Lisa/Kavindra at A Clear Path to Happy

You always inspire me to be more than who I think I am. 

A Father's Day surprise for dear beloved -- his favorite Pineapple Upside Down Cake
and for you friends as well. 

1/2 C butter
1 C firmly backed brown sugar
1 can sliced pineapple
Large whole pecans
1 C sifted cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 eggs separated
1 C sugar (I use fine baking sugar)
5 Tbl Pineapple Juice

1. Melt butter in 9X9X2 inch pan -- I like my round one
2. Spread brown sugar evenly in pan
3. Arrange pineapple slice on sugar, filling spaces w/pecans.
4. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
5. Beat egg yolks until light, adding sugar gradually.
6. Add pineapple juice and sifted dry ingredients alternately to egg-yolk mixture; mix until blended after each addition.
7. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
8. Pour batter over pineapple in pan.
9. Bake in 375 oven 30-35 minutes.
10. Let cool 10 minutes, then turn out on a serving plate.
Serve with vanilla bean ice cream.

Love and Light!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Hi Cynthia,
Your fruit bowl sounds so delicious and juicy! Never heard of some of those fruits before, wow must be nice to take a fruity taste adventure, inspires me to get out there and try something different!
But I am deffenetly going to try the upside down pineapple cake, tell you how it turn out, next weekend am going up to see mum and will make it for our family gathering.
Have a great weekend Angie ox.

Jane said...

Cynthia, I am touched beyond words for ... YOU! Thank you for your words today and this past week--I treasure them and they are a warm sweet fire in my heart. And thank you for these beautiful dazzling awards! I love it that people have come up with these beautiful blessings! Gosh, your fruit bowl looks luscious. Have a lovely Solstice and Father's Day weekend ...!

Tori said...

Have a Happy Solstice! You totally deserve those awards. <3

No comment on the food- I just ate so much today I think I might pop if I even think about food. xD

We did end up having wonderful weather for today! No rain, and not too hot. Graduation went perfectly. Thank you again for the wonderful e-card. It was so beautiful.

Lisa said...

Thank you for the award/s love! The inspiration is mutual. I love your paragraph about why you started blogging and what you have discovered within and without. Very lovely and true.

I'm intrigued by this solstice cleanse. You are a very adventurous eater ... that's very good. I've never mixed onion and hot spices with fruit.

Have a lovely solstice and father's day.