Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Solstice Suprises!

It was a quiet, subtle beginning. Early dawn, finding tenny's, then camera, and out for a walk. Several pictures of the sun rising; there is something magical about watching that first ray, laser like, appear and grow. (that's the Superstition Mtns back there -- Lost Dutchman's mine myth and all that -- great hiking too.)


 Threw scraps to the chickens, looking sharply at one of the Golden Buffs-- there was one 'she' that sure looked like a 'he' -- and then my first surprise sounded!  Walking away I'll be damned if 'he' didn't crow! As you may remember I really wanted a rooster when I started my to put together a new batch last Feb. To my delight one of the Leghorns was a rooster, but alas he died shortly. I knew my odds of another rooster in the pack were slim. A lesson in odds and gifts. 

Then I uncovered my painting that I had put to rest for a few days "Mountain Dream." Was mostly satisfied with the results. Still, I look amateurish -- that's okay, I am, and am not sure if it is done, but it complimented the morning. That is a seagull feather from my last visit to the sea. Tried using the Clear Tar Gel with interesting effects as well as the heavy molding paste and the light. 

And then lo and behold, I look at the kitchen window and Mr. Desert Tortoise is taking a morning stroll right past the dogs! Hubby caught this pic. 

The salsa was a culinary delight rolling and crunching around in the mouth, sweet, hot -- perfect. A success! 
used 1/4 of that Santa Claus, 1/2 jicama; bite size, 1/2 small seedless watermelon, two of those little pears worked great, but that mango was horrible to cut into, not ripe, flavorless - blech, went into the trash! 1/2 red onion, 1/2 of that heirloom tomato -- luscious!, one kiwi, should use two next time, 4 limes juiced in, & handful of cilantro - 1 serrano - not seeded, and one habanero seeded. It was just the right amount of hot -- people east of the Mississippi would think too hot and then there are those of us that could put in on more of each pepper, but I like it this way as the heat and back flavor of the habanero complimented rather than took away from the sweet melon. 

I've had a fair amount of the mania going on for the last two weeks, which has now turned to the flip side; depression. The stress..blah blah, you know. Anyway, tomorrow is the dentist again, other side of my mouth for gum planing --fun times.

All this solstice activity prompted me to change the name of my blog -- which may, or may not take. I'll see, may just be an empty impulse. 

Also you may notice my new links to the crisis in Iran. From 18 to 23 I was married to an Iranian, a wonderful man...we were just too young (sex was great though!) the infusion of culture made so much difference in my growth as a young woman, I regret nothing. It was 1978 and the hostage crisis began 6 months after we were married. I found out first hand about hatred when I came out of my apt to see my windshield bashed in, part of my family -- some aunts and uncles made judgments  without knowing any history of the US and Iran; the comments were embarrassing -- for them. I did my English 102 paper on the history of how we got to were we were with Iran and about the people; I did massive research and interviews. The professor called me in for plagiarism; I don't think he like my stance. It was an A paper, I showed him my proof and he gave me a B. I still feel close to that time, the TV images of streets filled with protester's remind me of the days of being glued to Ted Koppel's 10 pm report --- hence the links if anyone is interested.  Knowledge is understanding ==judgement is prejudice. 

 blessings -- hope to catch up after my mouth is numbed and I'm eating applesauce, miso soup and living on Jamba juice - 16 oz Bright eyed blueberry -- Yum!

6 comments:

Snap said...

Congratulations on your awards. You deserve them all. I loved your solstice post ... from the sunrise, to the chickens, to the salsa and all! You've been busy. The pineapple upside cake .... yummmmm.

Hugs and Joy to You!

Snap said...

PS ... just discovered molding paste ... well ... used it for the first time in a collage yesterday and I think I'm in love! I really like your piece.

SandyCarlson said...

Your painting is beautiful. And the tortoise is quite the spiffy dude.

Sheila said...

The new blog name is terrific - hope you like it well enough. Best wishes on that dentist thing - that salsa strikes me as a lovely taste to savor through applesauce, etc. whilst you're recovering. And I love the art you shared. Amazing what scrub covered mountains can inspire.

Gonna hafta check out your additional links over some time. I feel as if I'm OD'ing on Iran/N. Korea to the point where it seems hard to hold on to optimism. When I was younger I worked in a restaurant with an Iranian woman who used to tell me if I weren't already married she'd love to hook me up with her son - if I could keep my mouth shut (to not reveal my accent I thought she'd meant) I could pass for Iranian in her country she'd say. I wonder if she married off her son and if they went back - as she said, to her country. I can't imagine from everything I've ever learned of Iran that she could have been content to live there again. One wonders so much...

Cynthia said...

hey Snap -- the light is like whipped cream-- I love it -- it dries --what is it opaque? and the heavy Gel/paste dries semi clear -- I noticed I had to add GAC200 to get paints to stick to them after.

thanks For stopping by Sandy -- your blogs are intelligent little vignettes.

Sheila -- many high hopes for that revolution died soon after. I saw a recent HBO special with the ex-shah's widow. Addressed many of the left over questions I had about both sides of that revolution.

thx for liking my new name -- it does kind of grow on one.

risa said...

Just had to comment, because it is rare that I come across someone with this similar history...I too was married to an Iranian...not much after the hostage crisis. The marriage ended miserably, but we had 2 beautiful children. Watching this crisis in Iran now...brings back much...I wish the country peace and freedom.
Thanks for sharing.