The breaking of my journal last week inspired a weird sort of compassion. I felt very sorry for my little book and set about putting it back together. There is something very tender that emerges when you go about healing something.
Friday, June 19, 2009
WTJ Wk 3 -- Healing
This week, walking out of the movies, a group of three 11ish young girls huddled around a baby bird fallen from of tree, obviously not long for this world, but it's little beak was open trying to breathe and little eyes shut as one of the girls cradled it in her palm. When I walked by they looked at me wondering what to do. I've been here when my boys were younger, when I was younger, and there was nothing at all that could be done except to set it back down on the ground under the tree.
The smooth faces, fly-away hair, bare legs and arms in shorts and strapped tee's, and the earnest "What if we do___?" questions reminded me of those careless summer days of youth, of tiny heartbreaks that made one grow-up a little bit when one wasn't looking. The bird could not be healed, but the desire was there. There was a little connection of love between us five as the one girl laid the tiny thing back on the ground. I turned to leave while those three, fledglings themselves, stayed behind, probably doing that thing us women still do when together during grief, confusion & transitions -- finding comfort in our sisterhood.
I've enjoyed that unexpected gift with this journal -- the sisterhood.
So, here is my healed book, much better than before, and a new motto on the front {click on the picture to read it,} and it smells so heavenly too!
Bright Blessings
Cyn
PS - I think the colored duct tape was a true inspiration from above!
Posted by
Cynthia
at
8:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





21 comments:
Your cover looks great! Happy wrecking!
Lovely words...healing and the little trials of growing up that help us along the way...to let go.
lovely post and i really like your new saying on the cover. isn't it nice to have a sweet smelling journal too?!!
i think our wrecks are teaching (and healing) us even as we think we're filling THEM, in ways we don't know.
Amazing what this little book is *doing* for all of us. Loved the story about the girls and the baby bird. Ain't it the truth! :D
That is a really beautiful story. Breaks my heart, like I suppose it breaks everyones. The human story, huh?
What a beautiful story. I think I would do the same thing. I haven't bought the book but I am having the most amazing time reading everyone's wreckage, sakvage and healing~
Music made me jump out of my skin!
I love your cover. Let's face it those covers were really crying out to be wrecked weren't they?
It was lovely to read your story and share your experiences.
I love what you've done with it. ;)
That was a really nice story about the birdy too. ty.
Awww, how wonderful!
All of it.
:)
I too love your front cover. I understand about the healing of the book, I have much the same feelings towards my own. Lovely story as well
I'm happy you were able to heal the poor wounded bird journal :) She is looking marvelous :)
You are right, the colored duct tape was fabulous! I've been the little girls holding the bird - it's always so sad. I'm glad you could heal your book.
I'm glad you are enjoying my journal!! Thanks so much!
Kristin
Oops! Wrong comment in wrong place! Thank you for your comment, I am glad you found it illuminating... Happy Wrecking!
I can alomst smell it:)
-elin-
Simply wonderful and magical wreck work. Well Done! :)
Shared moments. Sisterhood. Understanding.
Here's to the journey.
Bittersweet story -- kinda like wrecking the book as we go. :) That cover is unrecognizable already! LOL
What a beautiful post. Your story of the fallen bird really touched my heart.
I'm late in coming by - I'm finding that some weeks I am just not able to visit everyone quickly.
I am glad I did come back to finish week 3 posts. Your story was lovely and poignent.
I know hat you mean about wanting to heal rather than wreck. I am having a difficult time with wrecking - altho I did get it into the shower this week!
Take care.
Post a Comment